Parking is a big worry for me as I am traveling to school. I never know how fast I am going to get a spot, how far I am going to walk or if I will be late for class. It’s the most stressful part of my drive. I think that it is part of the reason I get less patient with the other cars on the road. If only they would hurry, so that I can get a close parking spot to class.
So, if all else fails, I park about two blocks away and walk to class. It’s not a far walk by any means, but it’s not the safest location. I feel like I should carry mace or a weapon some nights, especially as I walk to my car from class.
I’m usually fine walking in San Francisco, because I definitely have learned to express “the bitch” face so that no one with bothers me. I pretend to look pissed off, or irritated and it seems to work. I don’t get bothered. Oh, I also NEVER make eye contact with anyone. Although this face works most of the time, I still get scared walking to my car after class.
I’ve always been kinda scared just because two blocks in the dark, with no one around in the fog set the scene of a scary movie. I can’t help but let my mind go there. Part of the reason I stress about it on the drive up is because I want to get the closest parking possible so I don’t have to worry about walking to my car later in the night.
I am kind of mad at myself for thinking like this because my parents raised me to be independent and self sufficient. To know that I could get scared pisses me off. So I stand tall and put on my bitchyest face as I walk to my car.
Then I was checking my school email yesterday, there was an email about a girl who got attacked near where I park around the time that I usually get out of class. Needless to say, that stupid email scared me more.
Do you guys get scared ever? If so, what do you do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

There's nothing wrong for being scared to walk to your car in the dark. I would be scared walking around downtown and I was packing!! Now I walk around with a little knife in my pocket or in my purse, just in case I need to defend myself. Though the "face" usually works for me too.
ReplyDeleteMelissa
OMG! I would so have mase on me or maybe even a tazer. I HATE being alone on a dark street. Heres a good tip walk with your keys sticking out from between your fingers then you have gouging tools and a fist pack per say. And always go for the sensative ares. Groin nose and knee. And if you ever get put on the ground go for the achiles (spelling??) tendon on the back of the heal.
ReplyDeleteLOL... I can just see you walking down the street with your "BITCH" face on LMAO!
Jen Just do your dance that you do when you don't want to dance with people. That will for sure make them walk away ;) ...hehe On a serious note, please carry some type of spray in your hand. Don't be afraid to hold it. If you don't have it hold the largest key in your fingers, meaning be ready at all times.
ReplyDeleteMisty! My dance.... You crack me up! LOL
ReplyDeleteI have heard to not wear your hair in a ponytail so someone can't come behind you and grab you. Scaring you even more??
ReplyDeleteI also get scared. I was walking to my house at around 10:30pm about a mile and just made sure to avoid people. I kept trading my purse from side to side, trying to "hide" it on one side of my body, depending on which side a pedestrian was on. Maybe foolish, since my purse is humungous. But it made me feel better. I ended up getting picked up by Brian before I made it the rest of the way. I was practically running during my walk (and got all sweaty too!)...I just got an idea! Maybe you should run to your car! Who wants to chase down a running woman??
I don't really get scared when walking by myself, even at night. I probably should be more careful and watchful, but for some reason, I just don't think too much of it. And when I do, it's just a quick second before I start thinking of other things. But if you are scared, you should carry mase or something with you. Maybe you'd feel safer.
ReplyDeleteCarol, I wish I was more like yoU! :) Carol knows me though...PH in college??! If anyone is scared, it's ME!! I'm super freaked out, paranoid at all times! It's weird but I don't know why...someone asked me this once too why I spook myself out all the time?! Who knows but it's worked for me so far with listening to my gut instinct! Always always listen to your gut instinct! If you don't feel right, it's probably not right. Because you don't really have a choice as to park somewhere else...I'd really suggest carrying a spray (like what everyone is saying) or make a friend in class and not walk alone?! You're a social butterfly. I'm sure that won't be a problem! :)
ReplyDeleteALso, what I do which makes it obvious that I'm totally freaking out is I'm always checking out my surroundings-looking behind me, side of me..but knowing who's there or who's not there..and that's okay too! Also, maybe even get someone on the phone just to lighten the "mood" if you will or a cop friend?! haha. jk.
p.s. i'm sorry jen but this is a bit scary for me as remember, I'm "Miss Paranoia." please take care and really, isn't there security or something that could maybe escort you to your car?! don't ever be embarrased! i did so when at Cal State Hayward studying late at the library! =)
Oh just saw the second segment to your story..:) Even though I get scared and paranoid...as if I was reliving/re-enacting some scary scene from a scary movie (which I think that's why my mind goes wild and so I try to stay away from scary movies)I still believe I am independent and self-sufficient. I just function better during the day is all! =)
ReplyDeleteAww Chantha! I relate. I really do need to buy a spray. I think it would give me more peace of mind.
ReplyDeleteI think I pretty much have the "bitch" face down 24/7 haha, even when I don't intend to. I used to have mase with me during college. Mu uncle gave it to me. It did give me some piece of mind when walking through the dark campus at night. My college roommate accidentally sprayed mase in our apt room one time and boy does that thing give off an awful pungent odor. Anyhoo, be safe out there Jen! Practice your martial arts moves. =)
ReplyDeleteGirl, I get hecka scared walking somewhere in the dark by myself. In case you haven't noticed, I am the size of a 12 year old so i always think "God, I'm such an easy target for a predator!!" I actually do have a pepper spray in my car, but my problem is I always forget to carry it around with me, I might as well give it to you!
ReplyDelete